Let’s talk colors at the Summer 2014 Ready-To-Wear Runways during the Paris Fashion Week (PFW)!
This is no secret: I LOVE colors. The brighter, the better. In Paris, I was most enchanted by Elie Saab’s summer 2014 line. The richness of his colors, the simple lines, the subtle lace…His outfits conveyed simplicity, elegance and femininity. To me, the Eli Saab woman is a lady who is comfortable with her body, very feminine, yet she does not feel the need to overly expose herself. It is a quiet elegance and strong womanliness. The clothes accentuate the curves without being unnecessarily tight or short.
These are traits I feel are quickly disappearing in our contemporary fashion. We are encouraged to ‘expose all’ to everybody in order to feel attractive and confident. Just to clarify, am not referring to one’s outfits during intimate encounters with one’s mate as those are hopefully private and rightfully so.
At Elie Saab, the colors were vibrant peach, rich emerald green, black, deep berry red and metallic white. Take a look at his runway video.
At Chloe, it was white, royal blue and a camouflage fest, you know…the green which is common to military outfits and safari pictures of tourists in Africa (no, Africa is NOT a country, nor is it only about deserts and forests and lions….but I digress). A video on the idea behind the collection.
Overall, the colors in Paris were a mix of bright corals, red, rich green and blue pastels, white with golden accents, shiny black (who can forget the LV show) and deep gold. Also, some lavender and Kiwi green at Versace and Miu-Miu (a video), silver accents at Christian Dior with the occasional pink and orange.
- It is OK to wear the same color hue all over
- Pairing neutrals/light/soft pastels with a pop of color, a la Miu-Miu
- Black shoes with tan skirt and royal blue top actually can pass (hmmm Hermes)
- Different textures for an all black outfit
- Black and white – always in style
My Favorite looks below (yes, lots of Elie but I cannot get over it yet… ;). Unless noted, all pictures credits to Grazia.fr.
Next week, I’ll expand on Part 3: Classic Lines. Stay tuned!
- Fashion Series – Paris Fashion Week : 24 Septembre au 2 Octobre 2013 (ebelandi.com)
- Paris Fashion Week Septembre 2013: Trends to watch – Part I: Lace and See-Through (15 Oct 2013) (ebelandi.com)
- Paris Fashion Week – Elie Saab (pearlsandparis.com)
- Elie Saab Spring/Summer 2014 RTW – Paris Fashion Week (fashionisers.com)
- Our Highlights from Paris Fashion Week so far (walglondon.wordpress.com)